Basmati Rice – 1 cup
Water – 1 1/2 cup
Milk – 3/4 cup
Sugar – 3/4 cup
Saffron – a pinch
Nuts (Cashews, Almonds etc) – handful
Dry Fruits (Raisins, sultanas etc) – handful
Coconut pieces (or dessicated coconut) – 2 tbsp
Ghee– 2 tbsp
Orange Zest – 1/2 tsp
Cinnamon – 1″stick
Cardamom – 4
Cardamom Powder – 1tsp
Khoya – 2 tbsp(optional)
1. Wash the rice, soak it for 15-20 minutes and drain the water completely.
2. Add the saffron strands and sugar to the milk. Microwave for a minute let it soak while you get the other things done.
3. Heat the ghee in a pan and fry the nuts and dry fruits on low heat.
4. After the nuts turn golden brown and the dry fruits plump up, add the coconut pieces and fry for a minute and keep aside.
5. Now drain rice. Put the remaining ghee to fire add clove cinnamon and cardamom in it and fry
this in the same oil till a nice aroma comes.Add rice store for a while.
6. Add the hot water,and orange zest to this.
7. Reduce the flame, cover with a lid and let it cook for 10 minutes.
8. After the rice is 3/4th cooked, add the sweetened milk with saffron strands and cardomom powder.
9. Cover with the lid again and let it cook on very low heat for another 10-15 minutes.
10. By now all the liquid would have been absorbed by the rice and the rice will be fully cooked.
11. Fluff up the rice gently with a fork and switch off. Garnish with grated khoya and fried nuts and dry fruits serve hot.