Channa Daal with Lauki(Bottlegaurd)
Just like daal makhani,channa daal is also a very popular lentil in north India. It can be cooked as it is or sometimes with vegetables. My mother used to cook it with spinach, kulfa,and with bottlegaurd (Lauki). In my family all loves channa dal in its all forms. This daal is delicious in all its forms. Here I am making it with Lauki.
- Channa Dal - 1 cup
- Lauki chopped - 300g
- Onion chopped - 1
- Tomatoes chopped - 2
- Ginger chopped - 1tsp
- Green chillies chopped - 2
- Coriander whole crushed - 3/4tsp
- Coriander powder - 1tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/2tsp
- Red chilli powder - 3/4tsp
- Garam masala - 1/2tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Ghee - 2tbsp
- Chopped coriander leaves - 1tbsp for garnishing
- Wash and pick channa daal. Put it in a pressure cooker add water, salt and turmeric powder and put the lid. Now pressure cook till three whistle. Let the pressure releases itself.
- In another pan add oil ,add chopped tomatoes and cook till oil separates. Add salt, turmeric powder, coriander powder and chopped green chillies. Then add chopped lauki or bottlegaurdand a cup of water. Stir and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Combine daal and lauki and let it simmer covered on slow flame till daal and Lauki is soft and cooked properly. It will take approximately 10-15 minutes. Or you can again pressure cook for 5 minutes on medium flame.
- Now make tadka, heat oil add whole coriander seeds crushed between your palms. It will enhance the flavour of the seeds. When light brown add ginger, chopped onion and cook till light brown. Add Kashmiri red chillies powder, coriander powder and garam masala.
- Remove from flame and transfer to the serving bowl. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with chappati or parantha.
Just like daal makhani,channa daal is also a very popular lentil in north India.It can be cooked as it is or with adding some vegetables.My mother used to cook it with spinach, kulfa,and with bottlegaurd (Lauki). In my family all loves channa dal in its all forms. This daal is delicious in all its forms. Here I am making it with Lauki.Add to Favourites